CLEAN OUT THE FRIDGE AND CUPBOARDS CASSEROLE(Makes 6 servings)
Make your own casserole from what’s on-hand using these basic ingredients. Select food(s) from each category or use your own favorites.
Starch — select ONE:
- 2 cups uncooked pasta (macaroni, penne, spiral, bow tie), COOKED
- 1 cup uncooked long-grain white or brown rice, COOKED
- 4 cups uncooked noodles, COOKEDProtein — select ONE:
Vegetable — select ONE:
- 2 cups cooked ground beef
- 2 cups cooked and diced chicken, turkey, ham, beef or pork
- 2 cups chopped hard-cooked egg
- 2 cans (6–8 ounce) fish or seafood, flaked
- 2 cups cooked or canned dry beans (kidney, etc.)
Sauce — select ONE:
- 1 package (10 ounce) thawed and drained frozen spinach, broccoli, green beans, green peas
- 1 can (16 ounce) green beans, peas, carrots, corn, drained
- 2 cups sliced fresh zucchini
Flavor — select ONE or MORE:
- 2 cups white sauce or 1 can sauce-type soup (mushroom, celery, cheese, tomato, etc.) mixed with milk to make 2 cups
- 1 can (16 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice
Topping — select ONE or MORE (if desired after heating, place on top):
- 1/2 cup chopped celery, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1–2 teaspoons mixed dried leaf herbs (basil, thyme, marjoram, tarragon)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss, Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup buttered bread crumbs
- 1/4–1/2 cup canned fried onion rings
- Combine in a buttered 2 to 2-1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Cover and bake at 350°F for about 50 minutes to 1 hour or microwave using 50% power for about 15–30 minutes, rotating or stirring as necessary.
- Heat until steaming hot (165°F) throughout.
- Return casserole with topping(s), uncovered, to oven for about 10 minutes or to microwave for about 2 minutes.