Get Moving Quay County 5K Fun Run/Walk is scheduled for October 1, 2016. This gives you time to begin preparation. These tips were prepared for your use in preparing for this event, if you choose. Good luck and we’ll see you October 1st!
1) Current research shows that stretching is not best performed until after exercise. To avoid injury, begin a gradual warmup of 5-10 minutes. This should consist of marching in place, kicking the legs forward and back, several body weight squats, and swinging the arms like a windmill. Finally, a few jumping jacks or short bursts of jogging will complete the warmup, provided you have no joint pain in the knees/hips.
2) Drink 8-12 ounces of water 30-60 minutes prior to your exercise, and consider keeping additional water with you. You may want to ingest 4-8 ounces of water each additional 20-30 minutes, but remember to sip and consume slowly to avoid bloat and cramps.
3) Be prepared. While we never want to turn someone away from a last minute decision to workout, do not attempt to exceed your preparedness. If you have 4-6 weeks to prepare, utilize it. Start by attempting to run or walk ½ of a mile and tack on 1/8 of a mile every other day.
4) Know your surroundings. Preparedness is the best defense against any accident or injury. When possible locate things like water, alternative routes, fenced (or loose dogs), and areas without cell phone reception. Gaze at the ground for snakes and imperfect flooring.
5) Remember the importance of footwear and proper clothing. Wear a walking or running shoe/sneaker and dress in comfortable fitting clothing, preferably a cotton or cotton blend top, with sweat pants or athletic mesh shorts. Avoid sun burns and poisoning by applying sunscreen when necessary. You may also want a hat or sunglasses, depending on whether or not you are facing the sun. Consider heat and forecasted weather to ensure the best experience possible.
Phil Tafone, MS – Director of Fitness & Wellness
Mesalands Community College