Food is an important part of many family and cultural activities and often we use food to make us feel better and get through a hard time, but these relationships often lead to overeating.
Our eating habits begin in childhood and are influenced by many people. Parents can help support and foster good eating habits with these simple strategies.
- Never reward or discipline with food.
- Don't hold dessert until someone finishes their vegetables, etc.
- Remove any guilt or shame from eating any foods.
- Link healthy foods to activities children care about.
- Be a role model.
- Avoid fat diets.
- Have family meals without technology.
- Have a calm unrushed meal.
- Never force food.
- Allow children to use their own hunger to determine how much to eat.
Improving your child's relationship with food | GEHA