Friday, November 25, 2016

November 28th is National French Toast Day

I can't think of a better day to celebrate!  Ever since I was a young child, I have loved french toast.  If we went out for breakfast, I would order it and would request it for special breakfasts at home.  I often made French toast for my kids as it is an excellent way to use dry bread.   French toast is very easy to make.  For a successful dish, use older bread because it will soak up the egg and milk mixture.  I remember watching a show on the cooking channel discussing the need for dry bread to make the ultimate french toast.  They dried it out in an oven.

There are many recipes, but the basic toast is a couple of beaten eggs with milk mixed in.  The bread is dip in and allowed to soak up some of the mixture.  Then fried in melted butter.  It can be served with powdered sugar, maple syrup, or whipped cream and fruit.  Make up your own combinations.  For added flavor, you can add fruit zest, coconut, vanilla or my favorite cinnamon in the milk and egg mixture.  Try topping with nuts to balance out the carbohydrates.

Here are some links to some good recipes

French Toast by Alton Brown


Baked French Toast by the Pioneer Woman

No comments:

Post a Comment