Here’s how to put together good-for-you foods to make a satisfying and healthy lunch for National Healthy Lunch day on November 15.
1. Put a healthy spin on the traditional sandwich. Use 2 pieces of thin whole grain bread and include 2 ounces reduced-sodium lean turkey, hummus, spinach, bell pepper slices, and mustard. Add some carrot sticks and light ranch dressing on the side.
2. Mix together some cooked quinoa, rinsed and drained canned white beans, chopped bell pepper, carrots. and broccoli to make a whole grain and veggie salad. Toss with some olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Add a nectarine or some grapes on the side and a small handful of dry roasted almonds, if desired.
3. Make a tuna salad with canned light tuna packed in water, light mayo, diced celery, lemon juice, and freshly ground pepper. Serve it over greens with an apple and peanut butter on the side.
4. Pack a cup of leftover chili or vegetable soup. Top it with some fresh tomatoes and nonfat plain yogurt instead of sour cream.
5. Fill a whole wheat tortilla wrap with rotisserie chicken, hummus, and greens. For more veggie goodness, add roasted or fresh pepper strips.
6. Pack a hard-boiled egg, a piece of fruit, a string cheese stick, and 5 whole wheat crackers. And bring as many carrot or celery sticks as you like!
7. Throw together a salad with romaine lettuce or spinach and any other nonstarchy vegetables that you like. Top with some cottage cheese, a sprinkle of chopped nuts, and a tablespoon of light salad dressing.