November 15 is National Healthy Lunch Day. Celebrate the day by taking a healthy lunch with you to school or work and as a bonus save some money too.
Here are some tip’s for making it easier:
1. On the weekend, decide what you will eat for lunch for the week and add it to your grocery list. That way, it’s quick and easy to grab healthy choices when you pack your lunch.
2. Consider batch cooking on the weekend. Make a big pot of chili, soup, or a big bowl of whole-grain and veggie salad. These will keep for a few days in the fridge and can be eaten throughout the week for lunch.
3. Take 5 minutes every night (or morning) to pack something healthy for the day.
4. Use portable containers—such as a lunchbox, thermos, and various containers with tight-fitting lids—to pack and take your healthy lunch. Extra-small containers come in handy for single servings of peanut butter or salad dressings.
5. Remember food safety—if you don’t have access to a refrigerator to store your lunch, insert a cold pack into the lunch box and be sure to choose foods that will stay fresh and yummy from the time you pack them until it’s time to eat lunch.
6. For days you don’t have time to pack a lunch, keep some non-perishable healthy options at your desk, such as like light tuna in water, whole wheat crackers, no-sugar-added canned fruit, popcorn, and nuts.