This tip is to use convenience foods to save you time and money, but choose wisely. There are a variety of box mixes that can help you speed up your meal.
Starting in the freezer section, here are some ideas
- Frozen Vegetables can be added to casseroles, skillet meals, or serve as a side
- Frozen Green Chile is a definite time saver, no peeling or chopping needed
- Frozen pizza can be used as the beginning for a tasty nutritious pizza by adding lean meat and vegetables
- Frozen pie crust can be used to make a delicious quiche
- Puff Pastry can be used as a topper for a pot pie
- Frozen bread can be rolled out to make meat, cheese, and vegetable handheld pies
Canned biscuits can be used to make mini meat pies
Boxed foods pasta or potato mixes can be stepped up with added cooked meat and vegetables to make a speedy casserole
When you add ingredients to a boxed food, be sure to choose a low sodium option as boxed foods are often high in sodium. This way you are spreading out the sodium and reducing the total per serving.
Use your imagination and think outside the box!
Here is the recipe we used yesterday
1 pound hamburger
2 packages Ramen Noodles with season packets (Use your favorite flavor)
1 16 ounce package frozen vegetables without added seasoning
2 cups water
Brown hamburger, drain and rinse. Break up noodle blocks as you add to the hamburger. Add the season packets, frozen vegetables and water. Stir well, simmer about 5 minutes until vegetables are thawed and cooked. We used Beef with a zucchini, cauliflower, and carrot melody. Try oriental with stir-fry vegetables or maybe spicy will add the perfect zip to your meal.