For most of us, our headaches can be minimized with some easy steps, all of which bring other benefits as well!
Most headaches can be managed with over-the-counter pain relievers or with natural techniques, such as deep breathing or inhaling the essential oil of lavender, a proven aromatherapy technique. But that's once you have a headache. Try these six tips to lower your odds of getting one in the first place.
1. Slim down - Overweight people get more headaches. Why would excess pounds cause headaches? Well, high blood sugar and poor circulation can both lead to headaches, and both are concerns for overweight people. So weight management can be a good way to manage headaches too.
2. Workout - Exercise helps burn off both stress (which can lead to headaches) and calories (see #1).
3. Sit up straight - Some headaches can be brought on by poor posture or by sitting too long. When you're at your computer or desk, be sure to keep your back erect, your feet on the floor, and your computer monitor at eye level so that your head stays in alignment with your spine. Also, take regular breaks from sitting. A quick walk or some basic stretches every 20 to 30 minutes will keep your blood flowing to bring much-needed oxygen to your brain.
4. Sleep tight - Keeping a regular sleep schedule can effectively help you manage your headaches, according to the National Headache Foundation.
5. Have some water - When your headache is accompanied by fatigue, dehydration may be the cause.
6. Quit smoking - It's well known that cigarette smoke leads the blood vessels in our brains to constrict.
For details each of these tips see the article in the Health e-report newsletter. 6 Tips to Fight Headaches